Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Weilong and School

I had a good laugh today after school. I knew it would happen someday, and I have been praying about how Weilong would handle it. At recess a little boy (who shall remain nameless) gave Weilong some sass about how small he is. Here's the conversation as Weilong relayed it to me.

Boy: What's your name?
Weilong: Weilong.
Boy: Well, you're little, I'm big. You go back to Kindergarten.
Weilong: (With fists on hips and an attitude) Oh yeah, well I'm smart and you're not. Every day I finish my work first. What about you?
Weilong: (Still with fists on hips) Every day you talk, talk, talk, and I do what the teacher says. So I have THREE TOKENS! What about you, how many do you have? (Weilong holding out his empty hand to let the boy know he was woefully short of tokens). Do you have 5? or even 1? (The boy says nothing because poor thing has none, not even one.)
Weilong: If you don't leave me alone I'm gonna tell Mrs Wolff. (wagging his hips, with his fists firmly planted on them again)

The poor boy closed his lips tightly and never said another word. He was hopelessly outclassed by Weilong's superior intelligence and ability to argue a case.

I don't think I have to worry about Weilong at school, do you? Now that he has learned English he can take care of himself. He had a few tense moments last year when he couldn't make himself understood. But now according to him, he is the king of the hill. Even if he wavers between 39 and 40 lbs soaking wet, and is the smallest boy in first grade. Well, maybe even smaller than the kindergartners.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think you have a future lawyer on your hands!