Friday, July 18, 2008

Weilong Update

Weilong is doing much better. He has resumed normal activities! He does still have headaches, and we are still praying that they cease completely. They are not as severe as before and tylenol or ibuprofen help a lot. His vomiting is very infrequent now, still gets nauseous about once a week, but laying down and taking a rest helps. His endurance and stamina are almost up to pre-surgery levels in my opinion. I struggle not to "baby" him. But he's so sweet that I just can't help myself sometimes.

He is continuing physical therapy and doing well. Another endocrine problem has crept up, but his recent blood tests were fine so we're not too concerned. His next MRI and neurosurgeon appointment is August. It's so good not to be visiting a doctors office every day.

It's hot here and the children are swimming every day. They are keeping me busy, but it's much easier than I anticipated. They are all being very good for me this summer. Not too much fighting, just an occasional disagreement. I think they're growing up on me!

The boys are forgetting their Mandarin. I took them for Chinese food recently and they had a blank look on their faces when the people there spoke Mandarin to them. One older man urged (demanded?) that I put them back into Mandarin classes and Weilong was loud in his disagreement with this gentleman's opinion. The man insisted it would be in the boys' best interest, but both boys told me that they really really did not want to go. I don't think I'll force them, after all I cannot help them with their homework and make sure they do well in class. Such a hard decision for me. I want them to be able to retain their Mandarin language skills, but I don't think I can force them. That older man told me the boys would regret it when they get college age, and I know he is right. But I can't force them to learn something if I don't know it myself.

So, we're just going to take it easy and enjoy the rest of our summer. We'll try to take the kids on a little trip when things cool down a bit. Too hot right now to think about it!

I'll try to post pictures tomorrow. I let the battery run down in my camera, so I have to get it charged up.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am glad the summer is going well for you all. I'd have to agree with WeiLong - as long as they don't want to go to the classes it wouldn't be worth your time. It is too bad that the boys didn't continue to speak Mandarin to each other. So far, Hope keeps up her Mandarin by speaking on the phone to her friends - but usually only once or twice/ month. I really hope that will be enough, b/c I know she will not want to go to Mandarin class either - she has enough on her plate trying to master English.

Maybe there is an easier less time consuming way to help the boys keep their language. A once a month tutor - maybe for conversation only? Or videos or kids songs. Even if they lose much of it but keep their ear for it, I imagine it will be much easier to jump back in later in life.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that Weilong is doing sooooo much better now. God is sooooo good. He's kept this little guy right in the palm of His hand.
We love you all!!!
Trish
:o)