

Weilong had his 6 month follow up MRI and visit with the surgeon. The Syrinx is still there, but has shrunk a little bit. The surgeon was a bit disappointed. He says there is some malformation at the front of the spinal column that is probably causing csf flow restriction and suggested that we might want to think about surgery. I'm afraid I just said "NO".
Weilong is doing fine, his headaches have all but disappeared, and we will not put him through another surgery at this time. Only if he starts having serious neurological symptoms or they tell us the condition is life threatening. I believe that they nasty old syrinx will shrink even more over the next few months. Remember how much swelling Weilong had in his little brain for such a long time? Well, I think that slowed down the shrinking, but now that he is so much better it will shrink like it's supposed to and even disappear.
Here are a couple of pictures from the MRI series. The syrinx did extend down to T1 before surgery, but now it ends around C4 I think. Oh, how I wish I had some kind of medical training.

1 comment:
Glad Wei Long is doing well. Don't blame you for refusing to consider more surgery. We haave moved to Colorado. My new email address is mfogarty@skybeam.com. Marsha
Post a Comment