Monday, January 08, 2007

Galveston, oh Galveston














The boys have been begging to see the ocean. So, since we were at the Snowflakes 8th reunion in Houston, we just couldn't resist driving over to Galveston so they could get their first glimpse of the gulf. WeiLong kept insisting that they be allowed to go swimming, but the temperature was in the 50's. Finally, after they all got their shoes and jeans wet, we let them take their shoes off and wade in a little.

So, we spent some of the most hours we have ever had. I loved watching them cavort on the beach. They ran and jumped and skipped and splashed and laughed and yelled. They all want to live near the ocean now, so we may have to pull up stakes and move!

WeiLong wanted to catch one of the birds and cook and eat it. And both boys wanted to go fishing. The girls gathered many shells to bring home, and they found beautiful sand dollars. The boys spent lots of time trying to dig little crabs out of the sand. We could have easily stayed all day, but unfortunately they had to be at school the next day and we had a long long drive ahead of us. So, we reluctantly drug them away from the water and started the long drive home. I failed to bring extra pants, so we had to put them all in their pajama bottoms for the drive home. We must have looked weird when we stopped for potty breaks and they were wearing pj's in the middle of the day. Years ago that may have bothered me, but now I don't even bat an eye. I think as we get older we cease to care what others think of us. I was just feeling blessed to have the opportunity to share this special day with my little ones. I think we made memories for a lifetime.

Each child has their own unique take on every adventure. The girls were happily planning a vacation at the beach for next summer, and talking excitedly about their shells and sand dollars. WeiLong was talking excitedly about the "big water" and the birds and fishes, just happy to have finally seen an ocean. Another of his precious dreams had been realized. He seems to be living in a fairy world where his dreams can come true. Bicycles, remote control toy cars, a family who loves him, AND the ocean? Too good to be true.

Poor WeiFu said he was disappointed because he expected the water to be more blue, we didn't have a bucket and shovel for him, and he was sure the oceans in China were much nicer. I was shocked when he told me all this because he seemed to be having just as much fun as the others while we were there. I know he is happy with us. He told our social worker that he likes us and wants to stay here with us, all before she had a chance to ask him. But I suspect he is grieving for China. He always talks about what a great country China is, much better than America. His one big goal in life seems to be a trip to Beijing. He talks about it and dreams of going there the same way I do about going to Heaven. I hope to save up enough money to take the boys back in a few years for a visit. But in the meantime I want him to love life and enjoy being loved and cared for and experiencing new things. I know he does most of the time, but I also know he misses the country in which he was born.

So, they all took naps on the ride home. And they were much better in the van than we thought. What a sweet little family we have. I'll be corny for a moment (after all it IS my blog). I am finding out that being surrounded by a large family who all love me is a wonderful thing. Instead of feeling crowded and overworked I feel loved and safe and so comfortable with them all around me. I love to hear their little voices discussing something, love each one's perspective. I admit sometimes the mountains of laundry are overwhelming, and I get sick of cooking all those meals and washing all that hair, and money seems to just disappear sooner than we can make it. But the rewards are oh so sweet.

No comments: