Monday, January 14, 2008

Bad Old Shots

Weilong is having a hard time. He really hates getting shots. And he doesn't want me to rotate the injection site. Last night he let me give him a shot on his hip and he cried.

Tonight the little cartridge pen did not have enough medicine in it for a complete dose. So, I had to give him a shot to complete that cartridge, put in a new cartridge and give him another shot to complete the dose. This upset him and he cried for a good 15 minutes.

We had a good talk when he was able to stop crying. He doesn't understand why he has so many things wrong with him. Why did he have to have surgery, why is he going to physical therapy twice a week, why does he have to get shots every day, why does he have to take medicine every day? He wants to know how long he will have to take the shots and medicine.

Weilong is always so happy and up-beat. It is very unusual for him to act this way. I told him that maybe someday they can make the growth hormone into a pill so that he won't have to take a shot, but for now we must use what is available to us. I tried to explain about things not forming properly in the back of his head, so that is why we had the surgery and why his pituitary isn't producing hormones. He just wants to know why?

All we could do was hug him and tell him that we love him very much and are doing everything possible to help him. He says he knows we love him and that he loves us too, but why is he the one who has things wrong with him?

I offered to let him call his friend Shan Lan and talk with her, but he said he is just sad and doesn't feel like talking.

The needle is so small, and the dosage so small, I cannot imagine that it hurts very much. Lisa told him that she wants me to stick her with a needle tomorrow night at shot time so she can see how much it hurts. I think I will do the same thing to myself. And to anyone else who is willing. It will waste a lot of needles, but at least he will know that we understand how he feels. Julia gets 2 shots twice each week, and she doesn't bat an eye. Tomorrow I'm taking him with me when she gets those shots so that he can watch. I want him to know he is not the only one who gets shots.

Finally Weilong calmed down and got ready for bed. And he mistakenly put on his old Superman PJ's, size 4. They came halfway up his calves, and the shirt was way too tight and short. He came out of his room laughing and showing me how small they were. We agreed that it is worth it to take the shots so he can grow, but he still doesn't like it one little bit.

He doesn't seem to mind the physical therapy too much, it is like play. But he does get tired of doing it every day. I am going to get all the kids to do it tomorrow, it only takes about 15 minutes and it won't hurt them or me!

The new power cord to my pc hasn't arrived yet, and I don't want to load my camera software on my son's pc, so I cannot get the pictures out of my camera and onto my computer. That camera is my favorite toy, and I cannot wait to see the pictures I've been taking. Maybe the cord will come tomorrow.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sharon,

Would it help him to talk to another child who is going through the same thing? I wonder if the endocronologist(sp?) might have an idea of someone who is could "compare notes" and commiserate with?