Tuesday, July 25, 2006

7/19/06 Wed- Orphanage Visit (Yongxiu)

What an exciting day. I didn’t expect anything like this. We were met at the orphanage by firecrackers! And most of the staff and children were outside to greet us. How touching.

We were taken up to the director’s office and served watermelon! Julia was at home immediately. I have never seen her so comfortable with new people. But she seemed to know that this was her first home and that these were home folks.

Then we were taken outside for a look around. The grounds were so familiar to us, just like the pictures and videos that other families have shared with us. We walked down to the little pavililon by the water. Several of the children came out to p lay with Julia and Lisa. And I sat and talked with Mr Cai (the director), the assistant director, and a couple of nannies. Also present was the man who oversees all the orphanages in the area. The men smoked and we watched the children playing. We spent a very pleasant half hour outside before going back to the directors office.

Now they brought out all of Julia’s paperwork and let us look at it. We already had copies of everything they had except the paper that told about her being found. I tried to take a picture of it, but it didn’t come out very well. Julia was very interested and looked at everything they had. We learned that she was left at the gate to the orphanage and that she was found by and old man who has since passed away. They took us outside and showed us how the gate was closed each night, and that Julia’s loud, persistent crying had caused the old man to come out and find her. I must admit to being sad at the thought of my precious girl being left there. But if she hadn’t been, then I wouldn’t have her as my sweet Julia. Afterwards we talked about and we know that God had planned for us to be together all along. And I told Julia that whoever left her there must have stayed hidden behind the buildings there until the old man came out and got her and brought her into the warmth of the orphanage. I don’t know if I mentioned that the orphans are in one bldg and the old folks are in an adjacent bldg.

After this we were taken back inside and allowed to tour the bldg. We went into a couple of rooms where there were beautiful babies in walkers. There was one nannie assigned to 4 children, sometimes 5. But in each room we went into, there were at least two women. The older women from the adjacent bldg were in with the children, helping with them. They all gave Julia big hugs and welcomed her. They were so friendly to us all, I think they felt we were a part of their family.

Two of the older girls and one older boy followed us around the whole time and Julia loved playing with them. I would have loved to bring all of them home. The smallest girl in the pictures was so precious, so friendly and sweet. She stole my heart completely.

Then the staff told us they were going to take the girls shopping and buy them some clothes! We didn’t know what to say. I know they don’t have much money and didn’t want to accept, but was afraid I would hurt their feelings if I declined. So we all piled into the vans and off we went to a local clothing store. What a ball the girls had! They tried on clothes and shoes and we created quite a stir in the small shop. Julia was thrilled to get a pair of shoes that she just loves. The shoes were only 20 yuan each, less than $3 a pair. I don’t know how much the shorts and shirts were though. Julia is so careful of those shoes, you would think they were Cinderella’s glass slippers.

Next we took the orphanage staff out to lunch at the hotel we were staying in. What a great time we had! The men ordered beer, I think. And they kept toasting us. The party got a bit louder as time went on. We had a private dining room all to ourselves. And Julia thoroughly enjoyed the food. She ate like a little pig! The staff said it was because she was at home and everyone loves home cooking. We were toasted again and again, and invited to come back as often as we liked and to stay as long as we wished. They said I could come and stay and help at the orphanage if I wanted to!! Maybe they had too much to drink?? But honestly, we felt very welcome and accepted, just like we were amongst family.

Later we went shopping and I bought the orphanage a new washing machine. They need 4 in total. The machine was $2000 yuan, and you get 8 yuan for each dollar. So it was less than $300. Each little apartment needs a washing machine. Julia had to use the squattie pottie for the first time and wet her pants. All the ladies were very sympathetic, and she quickly changed into the new pants they had bought her.

Then the staff took us to see some local sights in Yongxiu city. But it was so very very hot that we had to cut the tour short. The heat was making the girls sick, and I was so sweaty (and a bit smelly).

They drove us to the entrance to the toll road and there we said our good byes. I think we all left a bit of our hearts in Yongxiu.

No comments: