Tuesday, July 25, 2006

7/21/06- Orphanage Visit (Changzhou)






Well, it has been several days since we visited Changzhou, so my memory is not as fresh as I wish it was. But here’s a stab at it. I may modify this later after I consult with the girls.

We were disappointed to learn that we would not be allowed to visit the temporary orphanage facilities. We would be allowed to go the the old orphanage where Lisa stayed which now houses the senior citizens.

Lisa and I both recognized the facilities when we drove up. The large statue was no longer there though. It was raining and muggy, so we were led directly inside to the same room where Lisa and I first met! The furniture was all different, and there were no children, but we still recognized the room. Soon the director and assistant director came to meet with us. We gave them the pictures sent by two other families who had adopted previously from Changzhou and they were very glad to get them. Then Lisa gave them the photo album she had prepared for them and they looked at it with her.

A bit later we were joined by the nannie who took care of Lisa and a child who Lisa used to play with. I’m sorry I didn’t remember this girl’s name. She needed assistance in walking, and I’m sure you’ll be surprised to learn she is 17 years old! Lisa was a bit quiet during the entire meeting.

We were able to learn a bit from the director. She says she has a picture of the old couple who kept Lisa for the first 4 years of her life and that she will email it to us. I have her email address and I’m going to try my best to get that picture for Lisa. The director says she saw that couple just last month and told them that Lisa is doing well and that she was going to visit Changzhou. She also promised to forward a letter and picture to them from Lisa. So, we’re going to try to contact them! Lisa would really love that. She loved this old couple. We also got the name of the city where they live, but not their names. I sincerely hope the director follows through on her promises to Lisa.

We took the director and nannie out to lunch at a local restaurant. They were very cordial to us, and we learned that the director had canceled an important meeting to meet with Lisa. I was very grateful that she took the time from her obviously very busy day and met with us.

After lunch, we started the very long drive back to Nanjing. We stopped by the Nanjing Jade Museum and I bought both the girls a beautiful jade bracelet.

Next morning when we got to the airport we learned that our flight had been canceled. So we were able to catch an earlier one. This caused me tons of problems because there was no one to meet us at the Beijing airport. I walked around for over half and hour, then decided just to risk it and take a cab to our hotel.

I was not able to contact our guide in Beijing because I didn’t have her phone number, so I just checked myself in and waited! I sent emails to everyone I could at our agency to let them know I had arrived safely. The other two families had already arrived and were checked in also. So I just met with them and the guide in the lobby at 5 as planned. They had spent a few hours waiting around the Beijing airport looking for us, but just on the later flights. They never thought we might get an earlier one. And the airlines would not give them any info about which flight we were on for security purposes.

I know God was looking out for me and the girls. We have had one flight which was delayed for a couple of hours and this one was actually canceled. But both times we were able to get where we needed to go without too much trouble. I must admit it’s a bit scary to be in an airport where hardly anyone speaks English and have no one there to meet

No comments: