




WeiLong is a wonderful boy. He has fit into our family much, much more quickly than we ever dreamed. His personality sparkles and has added so much fun and laughter to our home. What a precious little gift from God he is.
School started about 10 days after we got home. We have WeiLong in kindergarten for now, and he is the smallest boy in his class even though he says he is 7 yrs old. He loves school and is doing well. I will try to go to school soon and take a few pictures of him there.
WeiLong seems to feel right at home here. He is enjoying lots of new experiences and loves each one. He teases his sisters, but they tease him right back and there are no problems with them. I took him for a check up and he had to get shots before he could start school. That was the first time I have seen him cry and it nearly broke my heart. I had to hold him down for the shots.
He is so small. I had to buy size 4T clothes for him, and they're even kind of big. He weighed 37 lbs when we got home, and has gained at nearly 2 lbs. He eats my southern cooking, but prefers Chinese food. I try to cook it at least once a week. He tastes each new dish and pronounces it either "hao" or "bu hao". I love the "hao chi" which comes with a thumbs up and sometimes even a hug. If the dish is "bu hao chi", he doesn't complain, but doesn't eat much of it either. The food at school is usually "bu hao chi".
WeiLong greets me with a hug and kiss each afternoon when I pick the children up from school. And he chatters away, telling me about his day. Somehow he is able to make himself understood. At first his teacher was "bu hao", but now she is "hao" and he gives her a hug and kiss each afternoon when he leaves. She's wonderful, I love her too. What a blessing to have good teachers, what a difference they make in the lives of our children.
WeiLong told me he has had one year of school. He can add and subtract. And he can even sound out the pinyin of a Chinese word if I show it to him in my dictionary. He talks on the phone sometimes with WeiFu and with a couple of other Chinese friends. He told me no one else at school speaks Mandarin but him. He is learning English pretty quickly. He understands more than he speaks. But his skills at acting things out are unsurpassed. He keeps me laughing all the time. What a character he is.
He loves superheroes. We got him a red superhero outfit and he loves it. Last weekend I took them to the mall and had to ride the merry-go-round 6 times. I thought I was going to be sick! I had to close my eyes and just hold on.
Life is sweet at our house. And there is never a dull moment. But there are lots of messes to clean and clothes to wash and baths to give and dishes to wash. I'm busy, but very very happy.

1 comment:
So happy to hear everyone's settling in so well. The pictures are great - it certainly looks like there's a lot of personality in that little boy! About his friend Wei Fu - I know a mom whose son was Wei Fu's room-mate for 2-1/2 years and he's been asking about his old friend. She has lots of info/pics, etc. about Wei Fu. She doesn't know how to get in touch with his family but would dearly love to get the boys in touch. Sharon, could you contact me so I can put the two moms in contact? Thank you so much!
Jen Caffrey jcaffrey @marpac. biz (remove spaces)
Post a Comment