We went to see the neurosurgeon today. He has ordered an MRI for next Tuesday. He is concerned because Weilong is still having headaches. I am too, but they are not as bad as they were. The doctor wants to see if Weilong has mild hydrocephalus. I don't think he does, but I do want an MRI to see what the problem is.
I'm also concerned because Weilong has forgotten some words and other things. I believe that the brain tonsils that were removed have something to do with memory and balance. But it is my understanding that the brain will adjust and other parts will take over those functions. I don't want to cause any undue alarm, Weilong does not have any serious impairment. He just cannot remember the words for some things. But when we tell him the word he is able to remember it. This is frustrating for him, and a bit scary for me. He also has forgotten a few things that happened. This is unusual because he has the best memory of anyone I have ever met.
But he is still able to do math, and reads just as well as he did before. And he still tries to get one over on me all the time! He will have a great career as a negotiator some day. I don't know how much money he has gotten out of me in the last few weeks. All I have left in my purse is a few coins! And he informed me today that when he has children he will not give them money like I do him! The little stinker. He has bargained with me over everything. His latest ploy is that he will not scream and cry when I give him a shot if I will pay him 50 cents. I admit that I gladly hand over the money to him. I cannot stand to hear him cry over those shots. I don't know how much longer I will allow him to do me this way, it isn't right I know. But he has been through so much, and those shots do sting. I figure it is worth 50 cents to have him quietly grit his teeth and hold out his bony little arm for that shot.
Weilong slept in my bed the last two nights and that does cause headache for him. I want him to sleep in a recliner, but he says it is hard for him to sleep there. Tonight I will let him fall asleep in my bed then move him to the recliner.
He was very grouchy with the doctor, refusing to look at him or talk with him. He only said one thing "Can I go swimming yet?" He was very happy when the doctor said yes. Then he promptly ignored the doctor again.
Weilong was happy to get back home again. Since the surgery he does not want to go anywhere. He just wants to be at home. I think he feels safe here, plus he is still a bit weak and tires very easily. But he is gaining strength every day and plays normally with his brother and sisters so I'm greatly encouraged. It just takes time for his little body to heal after all he's been through.
I'm having a hard time because I cannot get out to do errands and things. I am used to doing those things during the day while the kids are all in school. After school I am so busy with the kids and supper that I usually don't go anywhere. But today I am going to make a run to Walmart after I pick the other kids up from school and Gary gets home. It will be my first trip to Walmart in at least two months.
Thursday, May 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment