Thursday, May 01, 2008

Thursday Morning

Weilong visited his class at school today! He was very excited. He got up early and couldn't wait til it was time to go. Then he got all shy at school and had a hard time talking with people.

He walked into school and we used the nurse's wheelchair to visit people. Weilong acted all macho for the hour we were at school. But finally started asking to go home. I could tell he was completely worn out. And I was right. He vomited the minute we walked into the house. Maybe the exertion was just too much for him. At least his tummy was relatively empty as he had not eaten lunch yet.

He can see that I'm concerned about the vomiting, so he keeps reassuring me that he was just too hungry, that's why he vomited. But he is lying on the couch and hasn't offered to get up since, so I think he's just tired and weak.

He isn't having much pain today, but yesterday was a bad day. His head hurt very bad. Maybe it was the most painful day since we got home. I'm thankful that today is better.

The neurosurgeon told me we were in a marathon, not a sprint. I'm beginning to think he is right. And I'm thinking Weilong will not get to go back to school this year. I was planning to take him to church Sunday, but now I don't think I will. He is just too weak to go places yet. He tries to act normal around other people, but is quickly tired out. My heart aches for him. I wish I could give him some of my strength. I wish I could take the salt pills for him. And I wish I could take the nightly shots for him. He is so terribly thin that it is hard to give the shots. The medicine leaves a little bump, like a bug bite when it is injected into his tiny body, and he cries. I use cold spray, but even that doesn't seem to help. I dread those shots.

The teachers, staff, and students at school have been so good to our family. We are so blessed to have people like that teaching and caring for our children. We are surrounded on all sides by caring people. Such a safe, lovely feeling.

I am going to weigh Weilong when he feels like getting up again. I think I may need to call the enodcrinologist. I'm concerned that he isn't gaining weight. He is eating well, but 37lbs isnt enough. His little arms and legs are like sticks. There isn't even enough meat on his little behind for the shots. It was a little bit painful for me to see him with his classmates. They look so healthy and vigorous. I want my boy to be healthy and vigorous too.

No comments: