Friday, October 12, 2007

Friday Morning




Our little boy slept well for most of the night, but woke up about 6 with a terrible headache. I was very concerned because his head was hurting around his eyes and his forehead. That was one of the danger signs I am supposed to look for. Pain in the area of the incision is to be expected, but pain at the front of the head may indicate a csf leak or other problem. I gave Weilong an ibuprophen and prayed for him. After about an hour the pain eased off and he fell back asleep.

I stayed in bed with him, and eventually I napped too. When we woke up from that nap Weilong felt much better. The headache was gone. And the swelling has gone back down. He says he feels good today, and that it isn't so hard for him to talk. He ate his soup by himself and I have him settled down to read and watch a little tv.

I think I know what the problem is. Weilong is quiet and rests well during the day when he's alone with me. But the moment the other children come home he gets up and plays just like there's nothing wrong with him. This causes swelling around the incision, quite a bit of swelling. And after a bit he becomes exhausted and has to lay down. He says he just can't stay on the bed while everyone else is all over the house having fun and playing together.

So, here's my strategy for the weekend. I will get some movies that the children haven't seen. And I will talk with Lisa, Julia, and Weifu and get them to help me keep Weilong lying down as much as possible. They can watch the movies or play games quietly. When the feel like they simply must get out and take a romp, then Gary or I can play a quiet game with Weilong. That way he will always feel like he's where the action is and maybe, just maybe he'll stop running around like a wild horse. I didn't realize how hard it was going to be to keep him quiet. He's always so active.

Shannon has surprised Weilong with a new game. I think it's a Nintendo DS. It's small and white and it plays all his old games. All the kids are so very excited over this latest acquisition. I don't know what the attraction is, but I'm glad that they love it. Shannon is the absolute best brother in the whole world. I'd take a picture of him and put it on my blog, but he'd kill me. And probably take down my computer network and change my passwords and all that stuff. I don't talk about him on my blog because he would get mad at me, but I simply must say that he's wonderful and we're so blessed to have him as our son.

Well, my little one is dozing off again. Maybe I can turn off the tv for a while and get something done. I'm not used to having the tv on during the day and it's driving me insane

No comments: