Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Surgery Countdown

What a rocky couple of weeks we've had. Just about everyone has been sick. I think I should get at least an honorary degree in nursing.

Andrea and Hannah had strep. Poor little Hannah couldn't eat and had a fever. She was just miserable. Both are doing fine now after a round of antibiotics. Next Julia got it. She had to miss 2 days of school. Fever, sore throat, headache, vomiting. She too took a round of antibiotics and is doing fine now.

Next the terrifying part. Weilong got sick. Vomiting and headache, no fever or sore throat. And Lisa got cold symptoms and nausea. Man, I was beside myself. I called the neurosurgeon like the paranoid mother I am. Weilong's head was hurting so bad, and he said his hands and feet hurt, and that he couldn't close his hands. Panic! He also said he was having trouble breathing, but no cold symptoms.

After making sure Weilong wasn't in any respitory distress, we decided to take a careful wait and see attitude. As the day progressed Weilong began to feel better. He got out of bed and finally ate a little food and was able to keep it down.

I was actually relieved when Weifu got home from school and started vomiting. That meant it was a stomach virus probably, not Weilong's Chiari Malformation making him sick. Poor Weifu, he had a hard time for a few hours.

But by the next morning both boys insisted that they felt much better and wanted to go to school. We sent them off, telling them to call us if the nausea returned. That was yesterday. And today they seemed back to normal.

All except poor Julia who had an appointment with the allergy asthma doctor yesterday. She got the test that determines what she is allergic to, 76 little needle sticks on her back and 13 rather large ones on her arms. The boys were very impressed with her bravery and invited her to play with them when she got home. They must think I'm a monster, having all this stuff done to them. I wish I could make them understand that it is necessary. I'd much rather be lounging at the pool than waiting endless in the doctors office and seeing my children get shots and surgery. Lord help me, how can I get through the next couple of weeks?

Surely He will not give us more than we are able to bear. I am waking up every morning with a prayer on my lips, and prayer is the last thing I do at night, not to mention all throughout the day. People must think I'm crazy as I go through my day mumbling to myself. I don't think anyone suspects I'm praying, not talking to myself at all. God loves these little ones even more than I do. He has entrusted them to us for a season, and I'm going to make the most out of each precious moment with them.

Julia has started taking allergy shots twice a week, I have gotten flu shots for 2 kids, and will get the other two tomorrow after school.

Surgery is scheduled for Monday 10/8, and our pre op appointment is Friday, only two days from now. And I slept like a baby last night. Well, I was so tired I fell asleep on the couch and then stumbled into bed a bit later. I'm surprised that I can sleep at all with the big day so close at hand.

No comments: