Thursday, April 17, 2008

Better and Better

Weilong is much improved today, except he is still grouchy! He was awake most of the night because he slept the afternoon and evening. But he has only taken tylenol and motrin for pain in the last 30 hours. Thank God the awful headaches have passed. He has a little headache, but not the awful one that wouldn't go away. And no vomiting all day yesterday. This morning he ate breakfast by himself!

We got another CT scan at 5am. I haven't heard from the neurosurgeon yet today, but expect them to take out the temporary shunt tomorrow. Then they want to watch him for a couple of days before releasing him. This shunt is under the scalp and exits his chest so it requires surgery to remove it. That is why they need him to stay a couple of days afterwards.

Weilong and I had a disagreement this morning over his taking the salt tablets. Last night the nurse came in at midnight and I pretended to be asleep. Weilong cried, but he took the salt tablets for him. He complained the rest of the night about his tummy hurting. This morning he flatly refused to take them. He cried and whined and just drove me nuts. They tell me he can have convulsions if his salt level continues to drop. So, I insisted. He reluctantly swallowed two of the huge square tablets. I was so glad. He also had to take 4 other smaller tabs for different things. So, he was left with two salt tabs which he flatly refused to take. The nurse left the room and said she would be back in 15 minutes. Weilong chewed me out, and said he could not, would not take those two remaining pills. I was upset, so I just left the room and sat in the hallway. After about an hour the nurse talked him into taking them and I came back in here. This is a scene that is repeated every 8 hours. I wish he didn't have to take this med. I know it is awful to take and hurts his little tummy.

So, today promises to be even better than yesterday. Gary is coming up and we are going to take Weilong out for a ride in the wheelchair. Gary promised to bring Weilong some kung pao chicken and he is looking forward to it. I need to sneak home for a quick nap, shower, and clean clothes. I feel very tired today. And tomorrow will be hard because of the shunt removal surgery. But after that is over, we'll soon be home!! God has been so incredibly faithful and answered all our prayers for Weilong.

++Just learned that the salt level last night (taken at 4am) is 138. Normal is between 135 and 145. PTL

1 comment:

JustAMom said...

Hi, I hope Wei Long is doing better. A friend of mine brought my attention to your blog because not only does she thing Wei Long is incredibly cute and sweet, but also because we have some similarities - I am the adoptive parent of an 8 year old Chinese girl who's in the process of being evaluated for growth hormone deficiency. She almost "failed" the growth hormone test - with one reading being a half a point too high to diagnose her with deficiency. They did an MRI anyway because she also had elevated prolactin levels. In the MRI, they didn't find any reason for her short stature, but did find that she had Chiari malformation - quite a surprise and a bit of a coincidence with your situation - although not nearly as bad since she doesn't seen to have any symptoms, yet. Any chance that we can touch base with each other - I'd love to learn from your experiences (when things are going better with Wei Long).