What a day of ups and downs. But I think the overall day was very good. Tonight I brought the Lisa, Julia, and Weifu up to visit Weilong. Weilong sat in my lap a while, then he actually walked a few steps with Gary and me supporting him. Finally, he sat in a wheelchair and we wheeled him down the hall and he looked at the fish tanks. He was fascinated by the beautiful colorful fish. I guess we stayed around those tanks a half hour or so. Finally we went back to his room. He was getting tired.
They gave him a motrin and he promptly threw it up. So far he has still not kept anything on his stomach today. We pray that tomorrow will be much better.
==== an hour later =====
Finally my boy is asleep. He just had a very bad hour. Since he has vomited up all the pain meds given orally, his only relief today has come from morphine shots, given only every 4 hours. But they wear off much quicker than that, so he is in pain before the next shot is due.
I tried rubbing his head, back, legs, feet. I tried distracting him with the tv, with stories, with anything. But nothing worked. Half an hour before he could get another shot he was screaming. Loudly. I appealed to the nurses. They came in and offered Weilong a vicodin tablet. He refused, saying he would vomit if he took it. I gave him a sip of sprite and two teddy grahams. The nurse and I both urged him to take the pill to ease his pain, but he still refused. Finally he got mad at us and closed his eyes tightly and refused to communicate with us at all. I think this little tactic helped him deal with the pain. He must have been so mad that he forgot about it because he didn't cry again until the shot was due. He also didn't speak to me until then. But thats ok, I'd rather him be steaming mad than screaming in pain.
Even after all that he's been through, and two days of vomiting every thing he eats or drinks, he still has enough spirit to get mad like that. What a strong little boy. What a little fighter he is. Come on, Weilong, get mad at those headaches and let's beat them!!
Now I'm listening to his gentle snores. I pray that he sleeps for at least 4 good hours. All the lights are out and it's dark in here. They will have to come in at midnight, only one hour away to check his vitals. What a pity they cannot let him sleep while he can.
Tuesday, April 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment