Weilong had a great day yesterday. No pain until about 7:30 last night. He went outside in a wheelchair. He was whiny and bored and kept repeating his mantra "I want to go home". But he was in no pain.
Gary came up and stayed with him while I went home for a quick shower and to pick the other children up from school. I also picked up chicken lo mein for Weilong. We all headed back to the hospital and spent a very wonderful hour and a half as a normal family. Weilong ate and laughed and played with the others. He especially loved the watermelon that Mary brought to us. He teased Gary and insisted that Gary owed him a whole watermelon. So wonderful to see the smile and hear the precious little laugh.
Then his head started hurting and I quickly sent everyone else home. I asked for a motrin, but they only had tylenol. I told them I didn't think it would help him, but they gave it to him anyway, promising to send for motrin. An hour and a half later he was still hurting and I kept asking for the motrin. They brought two tubes of liquid motrin. Now, Weilong cannot take liquid meds, he throws up every single time even at home. The nurse was vexed at him and told him he would just have to hurt until they got time to get the motrin. I lost my temper and told her I would go to the drugstore and get the motrin myself. She could see that I was upset and quickly apologized to Weilong for talking like that to him. And they quickly got him a motrin. But by that time the pain had gotten a little out of hand. I rubbed his little head and tried to comfort him, but at 11 I had to ask for something else. They were still miffed at me and didn't speak, but brought him a morphine shot. I didn't argue, though I would have preferred a vicodin. Soon Weilong was asleep. He slept pretty well for the most part. A little restless, and angry when they would come in for vital checks and a blood draw.
I will admit that my strength is almost gone. I need some zz's in my own bed and to get away from here for a while. I'm not sure how much longer I will be able to handle this. It has been over 3 weeks now. Please pray for Weilong to get to come home soon. Gary talked with the doctors today and they say he needs to be able to take meds without vomiting, and his pain should be controlled with oral meds.
Wednesday, April 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment