Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Small Victories

Weilong is grouchy as an old bear today. It's very hard to be patient with him. But he has a right to be grouchy after all he's gone through.

He has not vomited all day, thank God. But I'm having a very hard time getting him to eat. He's afraid he'll vomit if he eats. He also refuses to take meds by mouth.

In order to go home, he must be eating, drinking, and taking oral meds. They came in today and told me they would take the shunt out if he will eat and take his meds today. But he whines and cries and refuses all but the smallest sips of chicken broth.

Now for the GOOD NEWS. He has had no morphine since 3:30 this morning and his head is not hurting very much at all. Julia and Lisa, if you read this before Mom talks to you, remember that prayer yesterday and know that God has answered it for us.

============
The NP just came in and talked with me. They have a ct ordered for tomorrow. If it looks good, and I'm sure it will, they will take out the temporary shunt on Friday.

The only thing they are worried about now is Weilong's salt level. They said I must get him to take those salt tablets today. I am going to try my best. If he refuses to swallow them, then I will secretly crush and add to some chicken broth or something. Please continue to pray for Weilong to be able to take the meds orally. We cannot go home til he does. If he is able to swallow the salt tabs and normalize his sodium, we could go home Monday.

Mary Lynn and I took Weilong to look at the fish again this morning. He wasn't very responsive. Just grumpy and whiny I can't wait until he gets home and is his normal happy self. Oh, I got a laugh out of him earlier this morning. I gave him a good wash and he laughed when I washed his little feet. The laugh was rusty and didn't sound like Weilong, at first I thought he was crying. But he wasn't, it was a sweet little attempt at a laugh.

Another small victory is that he used the potty today for the first time. And no head pain as he "pushed". That's a very good thing.

I'm a bit disappointed that they are wanting to wait til Friday to remove this old shunt, but at least they're talking of removing it. Everyone has been praying that it is not permanent, and our prayers are being answered.

No comments: