Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Monday

Another Good Day! Weilong is continuing to improve. He only had two ibuprofen tablets during the day for pain, no lortabs. The salt continues to be a problem though. I got some buffered salt pills at the drugstore and gave him one, telling him it was for leg pain which he continues to have. He vomited about 5 minutes later.

But he kept one down when he took it during supper. I put lots of salt on all his food and try to get him to eat extra salt with fruit, but he gags. I'm concerned because the symptoms of not getting enough salt are fatigue and muscle cramps. He moans about being tired most of the day. He has every reason to be tired, he had 5 different surgeries in the last few weeks. But when they were testing his blood at the hospital, it was low on salt and they kept giving him those nasty pills which he rarely kept down. And I have my orders to make him eat that teaspoon a day. Now I can't wait til the next blood test to see what his sodium level is. Hopefully we can stop the salt pills.

Also he lost half a pound yesterday. I don't know how with all the eating, but he did. I suspect it has something to do with the low sodium. Salt makes the body retain water, and without enough of it he would loose water weight. So, I am on a mission to make him eat salt. Yesterday I made him french fries with lost of salt, and fried rice with tons of soy sauce. Today I am going to make the Chinese dumplings he loves to eat, dipped in soy sauce. I salt his food extra before bringing it to the table. I'm also slipping unflavored peidalite with electrolites into his drinks.

But mostly I'm thankful that his head isn't hurting very bad. He plays normally with the other kids, except he's weak and can't move around a lot. He is bored before they get home from school though!

1 comment:

Blessthishome said...

So thankful to see Wei Long's smiling face! Praise the Lord!! Praying for a great summer break and for those headaches to vanish for GOOD!
Kim