Weilong is still sleeping peacefully. He did have morphine at 7:30. His head and his hand where the iv site is were hurting. I sat beside him just after the shot and he said a couple of times "Don't go to sleep". Finally I said, Don't worry, Weilong, I will stay awake. And he said "Not YOU". The silly thing was trying to stay awake. I laughed and he could not understand why.
The nurse just came in and checked his vitals again and everything is fine. An hour or maybe two ago she came in and cleaned the shunt site. There was lots of blood there and on his pillow. My heart sank. The blood was from his scalp, the stitches were still firmly in place so the shunt did not come out. But the blood from the scalp must have seeped down into the skull and gotten into the shunt tubing. There has been no csf draining from the shunt since about 3 or 3:30 pm.
Weilong's little body must be handling the csf on it's own. Last time the shunt was obstructed he was screaming in pain and projectile vomiting after about 6 and a half hours. And in bad pain long before that. That was Friday night/Sat morning. And we had emergency surgery to put in a new shunt.
Don't you know I'm having a hard time sleeping? Gary called me and insisted that I lay down, so I'm going to do just that. Gary is sure Weilong will be just fine, why am I so afraid?
Something strange is going on in the other wing of the PICU. They are doing emergency surgery on someone. I know because they have shut picu down. If you leave here to go to the bathroom, you cannot get back in. I know this because I did just that. No one is telling us that we can't get back in if we leave. The hall outside picu is full of scared, angry parents most sitting on the floor. After visiting the ladies room I buzzed the door and they refused me re-entry. I was pretty short with them and said they should have told me I could not reenter if I left. If I had known I would have held my urine. Don't laugh, I really yelled that in front of a crowded hall full of people. A couple of minutes later one of the doctors came to the doors and let me come back in, just me. I told the other parents I was sorry, and went meekly back to Weilong's room. But I explained to the nurses and doctors in our area that the parents were scared and angry. And they were going to go out and talk with them. I am not sure why I was let reenter and no one else, but I'm very grateful to be in this room. I won't leave again until all is clear no matter now urgently nature calls.
So, please pray for the child who is having emergency surgery. That's what I'm doing.
Leaving No Doubt
Tuesday, April 08, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment