Monday, April 14, 2008

GOOD NEWS



Weilong had an MRI today at noon. The results are good, just what we've all been praying for. The ventricles are normal sized, the decompression looks good. There has been no drainage of csf from the shunt since yesterday.

Tomorrow they will clamp the shunt off. They will watch Weilong for a couple of days to see how his body tolerates that. Then they will remove it. This will require surgery since they inserted it under his little scalp and out his shoulder/chest area. Followed by a couple more days of observation. Then if all is well he can go home.

I'm so HAPPY and THANKFUL. I cried when they told me.

Unfortunately Weilong isn't having a wonderful day. He is experiencing some pretty intense head pain. And they sedated him for the MRI, so he is vomiting from that. No food today, except a little broth that he threw up when they insisted he take some salt tablets. I must get them to do something about the salt tablets. They try to make him take 3 of them 3 times a day and he almost always vomits them up. This madness must stop. They told me the alternative was a feeding tube to put the salt into his stomach, but surely they can do something else.

He just got anti nausea meds in his iv and is sleeping. He cries with headache every time he wakes up. They have no diagnosis for why he is having the headaches. They say that his little brain has had so much trauma the last couple of weeks that it may be causing the headaches. Gary, Shannon and I think it is the shunt. We believe that the headaches will cease when it is removed. They tell us it is not possible for a shunt to cause headache. Guess we'll soon see.

So, even though it is awful to see Weilong still having headaches, I'm so thankful that the MRI shows such good things. Maybe he can come home Sat or Sunday if all goes well.

I have been too upset with all the things going on to think about my camera. But I will try to get a picture later today if Weilong will let me. Here are a couple from just before the terrible pain started.

God is Good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah Sharon and Wei Long!!! Ask them if you can bring in Gatorade and Pretzels these are both very high in Sodium and Wei Long would have a better chance of actually keeping them down than the tablets! So very happy to see the good news - I'll continue to pray and ask that Wei Long be able to come home this weekend.

Nancy

Unknown said...

Sharon,

I am so thankful that the MRI looks good. I hope all goes well with the shunt closed off. Poor little guy looks so sad in the photos. It makes me just want to come through the computer and give him a hug (and you too!) I hope you have a big homecoming this weekend. WeiLong will be able to rest so much better once he is in his own comfy bed without being poked and prodded. Thanks for the update.

Blessthishome said...

Sharon,
Praising God for the good news....I miss seeing Weilong's smile and I know you do to...bless his heart, you can tell from the pix he doesnt feel well. Praying something is resolved about the stuff that makes him vomit soon...why cant he get saline in the IV if he has to have salt? Praying for his pain to go away as well.
Sending cyber hugs...praying he can be in his own bed soon and you too.
Hugs,
Kim