Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Surgery






Weilong is doing fine. He really had a tough time though. He lost a lot of blood and had 3 pints transfused. The surgeon said Weilong had a lot of veinous tissue. I hope I spelled that right. When they cut into the dura they hit this tissue and Weilong started to bleed. The doctor said this was one of the difficult surgeries he has ever had, if not the most difficult. We had to be at the hospital at 5:30 and surgery was supposed to start at 7:30. They did take Weilong back on time, but I believe it was nearly 8:30 before they actually started operating. I think the surgery took three hours total.

Here's what the surgery did. They took a little more bone from the back of his skull. Then they cut into the dura and put in a patch, making more room for Weilong's brain. And they also took a little bit of his brain out, called the tonsils. We did not know they were going to do this, but they found that there just wasn't enough room in the back of his little head. It sounds so scary to me, but some surgeons routinely remove this part of the brain for Chiari decompression surgeries. It is the part that has been seeping into his spinal column and stoping the CSF flow.

Weilong is awake today, and everything looks good. His pupils are equal and reactive, he can move everything and even turn over a bit. He answers if I ask him a question. But he is unable to stop vomiting. They have tried 3 different meds and so far nothing works. After surgery on the back of the brain, this is often what happens (so we're told). But he has really been sick. I don't know how many times he vomited. He is in ICU and will be there at least another 24 hrs.

Gary is there with him now. I came home to grab a shower and nap. I did sleep some at the hospital when Weilong slept. After each dose of morphine he will sleep for at least an hour, so each time I lay down too and grab a nap while he is asleep. It's hard for both of us to sleep with all the noise in the icu, but we manage somehow. I will go back and stay tonight with Weilong, we will not leave him alone.

Weilong is the bravest little boy in the world. He has not cried a single tear yet. I cannot say that for myself. I wipe the tears from my face as I wipe the green bile from his. I hurt for him. I wish I could have the surgery in his place.

I don't know how we would have gotten through this without God and our church family. Go to our church's website and listen to my pastor's sermon for 3/30. Never has a sermon spoken to me like this one. I want to write a big long thing about it and the peace God has given us through this word, but I'm so tired and don't think I'll be able to put it into words. Go to christfamilychurch.org then click on listen online.

I'm posting some pictures of Weilong before and just after his surgery. I can't wait to post one of his sweet smile again.

Leaving no doubt.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sharon, We are praying for WeiLong and you all. It just breaks my heart to think of your brave little guy going through all of this. Big hugs to all of you!

Blessthishome said...

Sharon, Praying for all of you! You are right! Wei Long is the bravest boy in the world!!
Hugs!

Kim in Alabama

BG said...

Gary & Sharon,

I know you know, but -- remember how many of us continue to lift your family and your beautiful son to our Lord in prayer. May God hold you in His arms and comfort you as you continue to seek His will. We love you!

Bernard, Kriston and Patrick

Colleen Peltier said...

Hello, this is Mrs. Peltier, Julia's teacher. I did not know about how things were going with Weilong today at school, I feel so bad that Julia didn't tell me (I knew he had surgery, but no how hard it was going)! You are all so brave. I can't imagine going through that with my boys. I am keeping you all in my prayers and heart. Take care, Colleen Peltier