Monday, April 21, 2008

Trying to recover

We had a pretty bad night. It seems that Weilong always gets sick after being sedated. And I was a bit upset that the doctor had left orders for only tylenol and motrin for his head pain. We have been in that awful cycle of vomiting and headache all night.

He cannot take meds for the headache because he vomits them back up. I have made an ass of myself again by demanding meds be given via IV so that he can keep them on his stomach. The nursing staff hates me, I can feel it. They avoid me if at all possible. Those who know me know I'm not pushy. But after hearing my boy cry, scream, kick and punch things from pain for a while, I seem to loose control and become the most demanding of mothers. I was able to get him one shot of morphine last night which allowed him to sleep for several hours. Then this morning he woke up vomiting and that gave him a headache and he vomited the motrin/tylenol. So I have been out to the nurses station every 15 minutes or so demanding to see a doctor (nurses cannot give meds without a prescription).

Finally, I got to see the PA and she prescribed anti nausea meds through the IV and morphine for pain. Hopefully we can get through this hard day and be on the road to recovery.

I am "down" today and need all the prayers I can get. Watching your child suffer like this is the worst thing imaginable.

The PA told me that they think Weilong's head pain is caused by traces of blood in his little brain. They were visible near the shunt, caused by the shunt. His little body is having to absorb them. Also, removing the shunt probably caused a little more blood to be released. She said it will just take time.

==============Later 1:30 ==============
Still vomiting and terrific headaches. They have him hooked back up to a monitor because of the morphine I think. Minutes seem to last days. But blessed naps between the vomiting episodes. Dr said Weilong lost some csf during surgery last night and that is probably what is causing the headaches and vomiting. It takes time for the body to rebuild csf. The dr was very positive. And he says the little boy who got kicked in the head by a horse is doing well. Thank God.

Please pray for my precious boy's peace of mind. He keeps saying that his head will never stop hurting and he will never go home. He desperately wants to go home. So do I. I paint word pictures of how it will be when we get home. He wants to visit Nana and YeYe and go to the beach again. I promised we would do those things. We are planning a fun summer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is just not fair...I'm so sorry Weilong is having to suffer like this. I sincerely hope that things turn around and that you all get some peace soon.

Poor little guy....it's heartbreaking. And I don't know how you are surviving this, Sharon. Please know you are in our prayers as well. It's so hard to be a mama sometimes....

Judy